Wednesday 21 July 2010

July 21st: Reaching for the stars is making my arms ache.

Trust me, those stars are a long way up, and I'm prone to short limbs.

I've got a lot to tell you. More happens in summer, it seems, than when one is stuck in a classroom at college, being taught how to live life instead of actually living it. Although perhaps that's a little harsh... college only adds more clay to the sculpture so accurately created by the mould of compulsory education.

I don't really know where that little outburst came from. It's not like I'm against education or anything - in fact I love to learn things, as long as they're things in which I have or possibly could have an interest or passion.

But moving on.

I was going to talk about the English trip, wasn't I? Said I'd tell you 'tomorrow'. Oh, that optimistic phrase 'I'll do it tomorrow' - who has faith in that phrase anymore? Yet we keep saying it and hoping that this will be the time we actually will do our homework, tidy our rooms or start that ever-impending diet. And here I am talking in the style of the infamous full marks English piece again; well, why not? Clearly I can do it at least half way decently. (Actually, when I went to visit my grandparents in Scotland last week and showed them that piece on my BlackBerry, they said they'd have given me twenty-nine - and I think I agree. What's perfect, after all? Still, it's definitely a nice thought.)

Ugh, 'nice'. I've been saying that way too much lately. 'Nice' and 'amazing' were last week's words of choice - my in-brain thesaurus seems to have shrunk to encompass the wide range of a whole two words. Hopefully it'll make a comeback soon; it would be massively appreciated, brain.

I seem to be taking my time to write my news down today. I should probably get on with it, since there's quite a bit, and knowing me I'll be procrastinating all the way through this post. A bit of Twitter here, Facebook there... oh, I wonder if I've got a hugely important email which could mean the difference between life and death? Better check Hotmail. And so the cycle begins again.

And for the record, I never have. Got that elusive urgent email, that is.

Aaaaanyway. Moving on.

You know that when I have this much to say I have to write it all down in a Notepad document before I start so that I don't miss anything? Today my Notepad has ten items in it - although some of them are probably only worth a line or two. Just to warn you of the immensity of this post.

So, it begins. English trip. Well, that's actually the origin of the phrase 'woopus to the maximus', as mentioned in my last post. Basically, I was on the train, and Charlotte was getting on at the next station, and we were BBMing on our BlackBerries (I've got a BlackBerry now, did I mention it? As in "It's a BlackBerry. I have a BlackBerry now. BlackBerries are cool." Yes, fellow Doctor Who fans, you may recognize that. And, much as I dislike being a sheep - no, not literally -, these phones are epic. They do everything.) and she said 'I can see the train!' and I replied 'woopus maximus!' - I'm not sure where it came from, but it happened. So then we added 'to the' in the middle and there you have it. The world's most awesome phrase.

ANYWAY. When we got to London (our trip was to the British Library and no, it wasn't as boring as it sounds) it took us about half an hour to find the bloody place - we thought we'd found it, sat there for fifteen minutes wondering why nobody else was coming, and then turned around and saw it across the road. Even so, there was only one person there before us (and thank God she was - a familiar face was exactly what we needed to see then).

But everyone else got there soon enough, and when we were all gathered around, our teachers broke the tragic news that the tour had been cancelled and so we were just allowed to go and look around ourselves. Actually most of the thirteen people with us evaporated in the first section... and let's face it, they weren't going to other places in the library. But some of us stayed - at one point we were reading (well, I say reading, but it was more like ogling) the first Beowulf text, which is obviously in very, very old English, being the first recorded writing. We were trying to translate some of it and I picked up on a few words - Hannah said 'Ooh, you're good!' and then to Shirley (other teacher) she said 'Make a note of this one, she's good for A2' - which absolutely made my day. As Hannah frequently does.

There was another time later on when we were looking at a massive map and I said 'Is that Dutch at the top?' and it was and Hannah called me a brainbox... again, my day was made. I'm just quite adept at recognising written languages because of all my foreign friends - I wish it were the same for spoken languages, but unfortunately I suck at that.

And is this the British Library's idea of seating? If so, I quite like it. wonder where they get them from.

http://twitpic.com/217aeh

So after we'd looked around the library, Jess and Yasmin went their separate ways and Subi, Charlotte, Tom and I continued on to Camden market, where we ate 'sick on rice' for lunch (don't think I don't know, Charlotte), otherwise known as Indian food - which was a lot nicer than it looked, but our dear snobby friend here wouldn't try it. Subi and I were determined to haggle, which we eventually did on this dress (ignore the picture, I'll explain later, but the dress is there):

http://twitpic.com/250nyh

And then after that, we satisfied Charlotte's insatiable thirst for poshness with a trip to Notting Hill and the non-existent Portobello market - there was absolutely nothing there! Unless you count a few stalls. But it was fun. Although we had an interesting job trying to find the station again; in the end we had to give up and hail a taxi. Of course there were none around... but at last, finally, one appeared and we jumped about like loons, arms in the air, doing exactly the kind of embarrassing, uncool thing which alerts Londoners that we are tourists in the capital city of our own country.

That was the day the man jumped in front of the train at Twyford, so of course there were train delays, and when it finally did deign to turn up it was packed and boiling hot. I had a chav standing next to me reading Great Expectations - a definite hmm there.

So the next thing to talk about, I suppose, is the last day of term. There wasn't really much point even going into college for it; I had a free, then tutor, then a media lesson in which we did absolutely nothing but talk about random stuff the whole time. Although Laura and I lingered for ages after tutor to talk to Hannah about 'universities' - a perfect excuse just to hang out for a bit. I swear all my friends think I'm sucking up just because I happened to give her a box of Maltesers. I mean, you used to do that to all your teachers at primary school, right? And none of them were even half as awesome as Hannah is. Okay, so maybe I was sucking up a little bit. Still, it works; I'm the only person she's told their coursework grade, even if Shirley's told a few of her students too. Anyway so we were talking to Hannah and right when I was leaving to go up the hill for media I said 'You have to keep tweeting over summer, because I'm going to miss you'... which is not embarrassing at all. No, really. But I actually felt quite a large sense of disappointment when the day finished. I love college, despite, you know, the whole lessons aspect of it. Or maybe because of it. But I did miss it for the first few days of the holiday - still, end of college depression (a very oxymoronic concept) is nothing an epic sleepover can't sort out.

When my grandad died, he left my mum some money, which with she bought a small house in Goring ready to rent out. We have to have some work done to this new house, which is why it doesn't have any tenants yet, and my mum said that as an end of term celebration I could hold a sleepover there. So we did. There were four of us - Becky, Charlotte, Lauren and I; the other knobs couldn't make it - and we spent our time on some seriously epic activities like going out for Chinese (after we got Charlotte to agree), playing Monopoly (which I lost dramatically), watching School of Rock and What Happens in Vegas and just generally stuffing our faces and getting four hours' sleep... not a wise thing to do if you're babysitting until midnight the next day. Trust my wisdom. But it was so much fun, a fabulous way to celebrate, and now there are some... pretty indescribable photos on the old Faceybee. A necessary part of any event.

Next up is my trip to Scotland. My dad's dad and my step-grandma (who will henceforth be known as Jenny) run a small giftshop in the Highlands selling Jenny's artwork and other things. They have this little/big music community up there, including a recording studio in the house of Steve, one of their friends, my use of which has been in the pipeline since at least last year. However this time was the time it all kicked off, as you're about to find out.

So I flew up via sardineJet (easyJet's new name - if you've ever been inside one of their planes you'll know what I mean) on Saturday the 10th July 2010. On the Sunday, after seeing one of Jenny's friends in the morning, Hannah-the-guitarist came over to meet me and get some musical collaboration done. It took us about an hour to choose a song in the first place, but after we had, it all moved pretty quickly - Hannah started fiddling with her guitar and she'd made up a tune within about five seconds. I then sang along to that and within about three hours we'd got the basic tune of our song, which is called 'At Last'. We recorded it using a webcam just so that we'd remember how it goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoSKqi0SxoM&feature=email

It's already changed so much since then. It's got faster for a start and some of the lines have changed. Anyway so the next day Hannah came over in the evening after work and we headed off to Steve's to record it. His studio was amazing. All this equipment, guitars, microphones.... sloping walls with soundproof padding on them and - get this - an actual glass room. A glass room where the musician goes and on the other side he sits with his computers, recording us. I had to wear headphones and everything! It was just like everything I've seen on TV, so I was kind of completely in awe of the whole thing. And yes, I was nervous, but Steve and Iona (his partner) were so lovely and nice that they put me at ease immediately - though Steve's the kind of person you just tease, which I did - and they had a gorgeous and huge dog called Charlie whom you can't help but adore. We went into his studio with some Coke and he got Hannah and I to play it, and then he said what he thought we could improve upon and what worked well - when Hannah went to the loo he said to me 'Alto. Interesting.' I was thinking well, to be honest, with my speaking voice and my appearance, what were you expecting? I mean, strange as it is, people usually look like what they sound like, in a way. And I can't remember how the conversation went, except he said he liked writing alto parts for instruments. He tried to put the song up a half step, but it threw me off on some bits so we changed it back (and yes, it is low. It is so low that by the time we came to recording I'd worn my voice out and was having trouble reaching the lowest notes. But it's not noticeably low, just the kind of low you'd only notice if you tried to sing it. But yes, that's why the recording is so bad - it sounds like I'm having trouble reaching notes that are easy for me usually. So then Hannah recorded her guitar part and a bass line, and then I used the recording studio (with the little no-pop-noise screen and the headphones!) to sing a practice one.

On Tuesday, Steve popped over with a CD which will have two tracks on - the instrumental guitar track and the one with me singing along, which I will then take home with me and practice until I have it perfect. Next time I go up there we'll record it properly and then start on the next one! When Steve dropped the CD off on Tuesday, he said that if we had time we could come over and record again that day, which was great as we were originally just going to do it on Monday. Maybe he thought the first recording was as bad as I did. So we went and did about twelve recordings of it, from which he then worked something out. And the recording studio is amazing! All the equipment in there... it's just... and his house is... and everyone there is so friendly! I've met six lovely people in three days, to some of whom I already feel quite close (Hannah included) and I just can't believe that they are prepared to give up so much of their time (Steve is a music composer and producer for film and TV, and a photographer, whose time is apparently quite precious) to help someone they've never even met - who is nothing more than the grandaughter of a friend, in fact. But they're all so lovely and friendly and community based - I love them all! If it weren't so bloody far away, and so remote, I would consider moving there myself.

We were at Steve's for about three hours, and Hannah wasn't there because she was working and we finished her parts on Monday anyway. In fact it was kind of strange having Jenny there instead of her. But still fun. We recorded it about a verse at a time so I could get it right, and then there was a bit near the end which I couldn't do and I wanted to go a bit more ornamentation freak sort of thing, but in the end I just had to settle for what I had, and I was standing up to sing properly as opposed to sitting down really bloody close to the microphone for the quiet bits, which meant that Jenny was making all sorts of jokes about me being a diva - I believe the phrase used was 'Whitney Houston on drugs' - because I was just really going for it properly. I just wanted it to be good - though of course I don't get that oh-my-god-is-that-me reaction when it's played because of how much I've heard my recorded voice before.

(The picture of the dress from Camden above is me in the recording studio with my 'lucky' pink water. On Monday, Steve had said that one of the other singers hates the chair in the studio more than a dentist's chair because she gets so nervous - and I joked that it wasn't as comfortable as a dentist's chair. The next day I got there to find that Steve and Iona had thoughtfully replaced the wooden chair with a padded one, which became known as the throne, and had put a bottle of water in a pink bottle on the table next to the chair. The bottle was pink because it was supporting Cancer Research by the way... it wasn't just random pink water. But because I was more confident recording on the Tuesday, Jenny joked about how the pink water must have something in it - hence why it's called 'lucky'. But how thoughtful was that? There's proof of how nice they are.)

I have now heard the copy that we recorded last Tuesday - it's had strings added to it and everything! To use Steve's words, it's 95% there, but there are definitely parts I'm still not happy with - like a line in the chorus that I forgot how to sing and made up... it was a bit of a mistake. There's also a bit right at the end where I was just joking around and singing like a freak and somehow that ended up in the song too - well, it makes for a bit of amusement. It would be better if I'd known what I was doing, but because I didn't it sounds a bit uncertain and not particularly strong.

Hmm, speaking of strong; two people have described my voice as strong in the last week, which is a bit of a novelty for me. It definitely never has been before, but that's something I've been working on. I do hope this means that my voice is finally improving! So that's basically all the song stuff in a nutshell - oh, and as more proof of how nice everyone in Scotland is: there was a person working in the shop one day called Jo, and we got talking about Lady Gaga - five seconds later she'd offered to lend me her Lady Gaga CD so I could rip it. How sweet is that?

I went to see Eclipse on Friday with Becky and Zoe and, having expected it to be crap, was actually pleasantly surprised. Kristen Stewart's acting appears to be improving and she's got prettier too... so I'd recommend watching it, if only to keep up with the story. It's definitely the best one yet and although it's not perfect I find myself actually looking forward to Breaking Dawn. In true film review style, I have to say:

Best bit: Jacob's line "I am hotter than you."

Aaaaand thankfully we're almost reaching the end of this post - I don't know if your eyes are suffering, but my arms certainly are. Just to let you know that I'm going away to the French Alps for a week on Sunday so I'll do an equally long post when I return to let you know I'm not dead. I'll also talk about the picnic I'm going on with the knobs tomorrow... it'll be fun.

And, as Zoe and I have been having something of a philosophical conversation on MSN all day, I feel that I should write something deep here and get into practice for studying philosophy next year. (Also I feel I should apologize for the sheer ghastliness of my writing throughout this post; I've had so much to say that I just wanted to get it out of the way. I feel quite exhausted now.)

No matter what, there will never be anybody better than you if you're doing the best you can. Cliched, maybe, but true. People can say that there will always be people better and worse than you, but who's to say what 'good' is? Who's to say that what one person considers beautiful could be a pile of crap to the next? So keep reaching for the stars, even if you don't know which star you're reaching for. Remember that it's your life you're living, and nobody can change that. Be yourself, and if being yourself is going along with the crowd, then follow away. Just don't make the mistake I did of taking seventeen years to find out who you are and what you want from life. Don't be afraid, because people may laugh at you, or people may love you. You never know what the world will make of you. Don't be ashamed of trying to shine, because the only thing you have to be ashamed of is not trying at all.

Molly x

No comments: